Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Roger Goodell is a Hired Hand



I have been watching Professional Football for over 30 years now. I have seen the best and also have seen some pretty bad teams. But never in all of those years did I ever think the Commissioner was in the back pockets of the Owners. I may have been naive but Goodell is being blatant about it. How else could he explain destroying the SpyGate evidence? How else can he explain not wanting to follow up on what has been revealed since the NEW TAPES were shown. If he knew that the New England Patriots were also taping Offensive Coordinators he sure forgot to mention it in September 2007.

Sure, he came in on his High Horse and threw his newly acquired weight around and starting suspending anyone who had a run-in with the law. But when he really could have made a difference he sat down with his bosses and came up with a slap on the wrist penalty for what is literally cheating. I still don't understand how a Coach can cheat, be caught cheating after being warned before hand, and still keep his job. And to the people who say that this cheating wasn't that big a deal, have you ever played Poker with someone who knew how to cheat. Believe me, knowing what the other guy is holding takes you from being a mediocre player to the Champion.
I guess it can also take you from being a mediocre coach (Cleveland Browns 36 wins - 44 losses) to what recently I've had to hear is the Greatest Football Coach of All Time. Sheeeeiiiiiiit, what would Vince Lombardi be able to do to your team if he not only coached the hell out of them but also new which defense you were in. As it was, Vince Lombardi kicked major tail in the 1960's.

Anyway, getting back to Goodell, was there ever any doubt in anyone's mind that Pacman Jones was going to be re-instated once he was traded to the Dallas Cowboys? Not mine. And I might have gotten it wrong but I was flipping channels this afternoon when on the NFL Network I heard a comment was made by Jerry Jones about Pacman. It was like 10 minutes later that I saw that the Commissioner had re-instated the little trouble maker. This commissioner sure seams to be Owner friendly.

I always had the impression that Paul Tagliabue and Pete Rozell were on the side of the betterment of the National Football League, not the owners or the players. Both of these Commissioners were excellent for the game. Pete Rozell grew the game to be America's Most Popular and Paul Tagliabue continued that track and also kept labor peace. Tagliabue also took on steriods before it was a national nightmare that it is now. Goodell takes on strippers and drunk driving while letting cheaters continue to receive a paycheck.

I guess that how it works in today's NFL

No comments: